Margate Bowling Club
MARGATE BOWLING CLUB
Margate Bowling Club is a welcoming and friendly lawn bowls club and is open to people of all ages and abilities.
The club’s bowling green is located in Cliftonville, the address is: Margate Bowling Club, 18 Northdown Avenue, Cliftonville Kent CT9 2NW.
The licensed clubhouse is situated in a quiet residential road sheltered by a tall hedge on the roadside. This has the advantage of enjoying good playing conditions, not often affected by the wind and enhanced by its sunny location too. Local people have been known to say that they didn’t even know a bowling club was nearby. It really is an enjoyable experience to play bowls here at any time of day, on any day of the week as well as the long summer evenings. Come along and try it.
The club play many league and friendly matches throughout season, which runs from late April to late September giving plenty of opportunities for everyone to bowl. In addition, organised “roll-ups” take place on Tuesday afternoons starting at 1400 hours, and Saturday mornings starting at 1030 hours if there are no matches scheduled. The club is affiliated to the Kent County Bowling Association and Bowls England.
The club also has a facebook page run by Les Samuels
If you require any further information about bowling matters, please telephone Les Samuel the club’s men’s captain and coach, 07734 392710
The club host regular quiz nights throughout the year, turn to the latest news and updates page for information.
The clubhouse is available hire for functions i.e. wedding receptions, anniversary’s etc. For further information, please telephone Geoff Holmes, club treasurer 07711 611720
BRIEF HISTORY OF MARGATE BOWLING CLUB
The bowling club has been based at its current location in Cliftonville for 98 years, since 1922.
The club was initially formed some centuries ago in the heart of Margate in an area now known as Old Town. The club/green moved to Zion Place in the early 19th century, and then relocated to Hartsdown Road in the mid-1800s where it remained until it moved to its present location in Cliftonville.